Finding dogs that do not shed fur, coat, hair and other parts of their skin can be difficult. There aren’t many dogs which are non-shedding by nature. Some people are also allergic to shedding and can find it incredibly frustrating; having to deal with the shed of fur which is why the Labradoodle is the answer you need.
Normally, all Labradoodles are fairly healthy. However, there are certain breeds which are prone to certain health conditions. Now, it isn’t common for all Labradoodles to have all of the diseases mentioned below. However, they can get any of the disease. Due to this reason, it is important for you to know about the friendly Labradoodles before you get one of your own. If you plan on buying a puppy, then you need to choose a good breeder that would have checked all of the health conditions and will provided you with health clearances for both the puppies you think of buying for crossbreeding.
Importance of Health Clearance
When buying a Labradoodle, it is vital for you to get a health clearance. It will show you if the dog has certain health conditions. They prove that the dog has already been tested and cleared of a certain health condition. You should rely on the health clearance of the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) for health conditions such as elbow dysplasia, dysplasia, von Williebrand’s disease, and hypothyroidism. Below are some of the health conditions which you should be on the lookout for.
- Hip Dysplasia: It is an inherited condition, where the thighbone does not fit into the hip joint. You would be able to tell by seeing if the dog shows lameness or pain on any of the rear legs. Not all dogs will show an outward sign which is why an X-ray screening would be required. Arthritis might also develop.
- Ear Infections: The Labradoodles have floppy ears which can be a plague. The ears need to be checked regularly as they trap moisture.
- Epilepsy: It is a neurological condition which is mostly inherited by the dog. The Labradoodle would experience severe or mild seizures and that will lead to strange behavior such as hiding, running or staggering. It can be painful to watch your dog experience seizure which is why proper treatment early on is recommended.
- Allergies: Labradoodles are no exception to allergies. The main type of allergies which they experience is food allergies, contact allergies and inhalant allergies. It can be difficult to look after your dog which is why professional help is needed.
- Diabetes Mellitus: A disorder which involves the body not regulating blood sugar levels is Diabetes Mellitus. Due to improper levels of insulin in the dog’s body, the Labradoodle would eat more in order to compensate for the low levels of sugar. Monitoring of insulin will help ensure that the dog’s diabetes is under control.
Knowing about the health conditions of your dog beforehand will help you choose a healthy dog or get the right treatment for your dog.